Friday, January 4, 2013

Penang Trip 2012

My family and I decided to have a year end trip to Penang! We don't really travel around Malaysia, so I was really looking forward to this trip! It was a 6 hour drive to Penang (Now I know why nobody does a day trip to Penang -_-). 

Accomodation: Tune Hotel. We stayed at the Tune Hotel in Ipoh, and it was superrr nice! The one in Penang was a let down. My dad and brother's room had a leaking ceiling, and it didn't feel as cosy as the one in Ipoh. 

FOOD. So basically, I'll talk about the food that I ate in Penang. For those that are gonna go to Penang for a short holiday, I think this blog post will help you in your search for good food! 
You can google map the names of the restaurants to get the location and address. 


1. Assam Laksa, Koay Teow and Cendol (Joo Hooi Cafe) 
This coffee shop was insanely crowded! The Assam Laksa was pretty good to me, but my dad- the Assam Laksa expert said that it was okay, and was overrated. 
The Cendol was awesome! I don't usually eat cendol or ais kacang, but this cendol was really yummy! If you bring it into the coffee shop, they will charge you an extra RM0.50, so everyone just stood by the road eating the cendol- It was a good experience for me. First time eating by the road, with oncoming traffic! I think it's a pretty smart marketing strategy! 



The Assam Laksa stall. 

Cendol stall

 Pua Chu Kang and Rosie were here!! 

 Jimmy Choo too! 




I assume the char koay teow here is good, because we were told to wait 45 minutes for a plate! (which we didn't)

We then went to Armenian Street near the Georgetown Heritage area to do some touristy stuff.

These are the famous Penang murals


My dad tricked me into posing like this in the photo. Then he uploaded it on Facebook with the caption: 'Went to Penang and learnt the art of keeping my daughter under control. Thanks to the street art in the heritage zone :-) ' 
That's my dad for you. 
-_-



2. Nyonya food @ Mama's Nyonya Cuisine 

This is hands down one of the best nyonya restaurants ever!! By the way, the nyonyas and babas left an imprint in the Penang history and food. In the olden days, when a malay marries a chinese, their child will be called a Nyonya/Baba. 

By the way, you have to call to make a reservation to dine here. When we went in, all the tables were reserved already! 



Entrance


Nicol David came here before, apparently it's her favorite Nyonya restaurant

 Jimmy Choo again! I think he really loves to eat. 

The appetizer.
I don't know what it's called, but it's sweet and sour, with raw onions, chilli and anchovies. It's SO GOOD.

The famous Joo Hoo Char

 Lobak 

 Sambal Prawns
(It dosen't look so good here, but trust me- it's the bomb.) 

Kapitan Chicken 

 Tao You Bak 
(Pork with black sauce)
This is SOOO delicious, I'm craving for it while typing this out!!!!  

Otak Otak
(One of the best ive tasted)

 Brinjal with Garlic

 part of the menu

 Pulut Hitam for desser
(Coconut milk comes in a seperate bowl)


Then we went to Straits Quay to walk around. It's by the sea, and it's a really beautiful place! 
You can rent bicycles and cycle around the area too! I strongly recommend that!  




3. Bangkok Lane Mee Goreng 

It's a father and son business, and they can speak Hokkien!! 

 It's really yummy. Slightly sweet and sour. Not the usual mee mamak you get in KL. They serve huge chunks of Sotong and potatoes!! I love this! 


4. Teksen
We were supposed to go to this place for dinner, but it was so full, people were waiting outside the shop -_- So we came here for lunch! 

Note: For dinner, come here before dinner time (5.30-6pm). For lunch, come before 12.15pm. We arrived at 12pm, and by 12:30, it was full.  


 Address!!! And FB page. Haha! 

 Spinach with belacan 

I forgot what this is called, but it's crispy pork, with some sweet sauce. It tastes really good. You MUST try this! (Sorry my description is pretty bad!)

 Chicken and Tofu




5. Assam Laksa@ Maccalister Road

DO NOT buy the Koay Teow there!! The one in SS2 (PJ) is nicer. 

This, my readers- is the BEST Assam Laksa i've ever eaten in my life! Certified by my dad. It has so much flavour, that I feel like eating it now. Hahaha. 


6. My grandaunt's nyonya food. Sorry it's not a restaurant! :p 

Anthony Bourdain came to her house last year to eat her food for one of his 'No Reservations' food shows, the Penang edition! My grandaunt truly cooks the best Nyonya food. Even better than the one i mentioned earlier. My aunty is a food writer, so she brought him over to eat the best nyonya cuisine in Penang ;) Featured in The Star. Click here.

*Skip to 20:20 to watch my grandaunty cooking ;) *








That's about all for the food i think, I ate at other places too, but they were not that great. 

We also visited the Pinang Peranakan Mansion. I highly reccomend it! It's really beautiful and gives you an insight of the life of Nyonyas and Babas. 




Ancient dude messing with my hairr

Next, we went parasailing at the Batu Feringghi beach. Go to Golden Sands, Shangri-La as the beach is just next to the hotel and there are many water sports like Banana Boat, Jet Ski-ing and many more. 

My brother and I landing. It was a great experience! 




Overall, I really enjoyed my time in Penang. I bonded with my family and gained 2kg along the way. 
I hope you found this post helpful! Have fun in Penang, and I hope you had a great Christmas and New Year celebration with your friends and family! :) 


Longest blog post ever. 


BYE! 







No comments:

Post a Comment