Ipoh:
1. Thean Chun (天津茶室)
73 Jalan Bandar Timah, Ipoh, Perak 30000
I'll start off with Ipoh! We had lunch at Thean Chun that serves the best Kai Si Hor Fun! Everytime I go there, I will order the 'Kon Low' Noodles (Dry Noodles), but my dad said that it's better to order the one with soup as that's what makes it taste so good! I went ahead with ordering the kon low hor fun instead cause I prefer dry noodles, but my uncle gave me some of his soup to try - and it was really good! The soup was filled with flavour, and I could taste the sweetness from the prawns in the soup.
We ordered satay and tofu as well - The tofu is really good, very soft and bouncy!
Pork Satay!
Kai Si Hor Fun
Kai Si Hor Fun with soup
Do not forget to try their egg custard when you are here!
Penang:
1. Lorong Selamat Char Koay Teow
Kafe Heng Huat
The last time I went to Penang, I failed to find really good char koay teow (ckt), so my Penang friend told me to try the Lorong Selamat ckt.
The ckt was absolutely delicious! Despite it's hefty pricing, I strongly recommend this shop. We went there at 2.30pm, and the restaurant was a packed with people. We waited for around 10 minutes till our plates of glorious ckt arrived! It had the 'wok hei' which I really liked, the prawns were huge, there was lap cheong in it, and everything about it tasted great! RM8 per plate.
2. Chinese Pancake
Opposite Kedai Ubat Seong Fatt
96 Kimberely Street 10100 Georgetown, Penang
We discovered this hidden gem by accident. Since Joo Hooi was not opened yet, we decided to go to this coffee shop to get something to fill our tummies. My dad ordered Prawn Noodles which weren't great, and my mum decided to order the chinese pancakes! It costs RM 1.40 per piece.
The chinese pancake stall
My mum posing for the camera.
We ordered a pancake with banana filling, and 2 pancakes with corn filling.
My whole family enjoyed it, so my dad asked me to order another piece for him with extra nuts, and another banana pancake for my sister. The one with extra nuts tasted way better!
Round 2!
The uncle preparing the pancake batter
I think it's gonna be difficult to spot the pancake shop, but to ensure that you're at the right place, look out for the morning market opposite the coffee shop.
After breakfast, we decided to take a stroll at the morning market.
I haven't seen this in KL before! My dad said that during the olden days, they would serve bee noon this way. By mixing the ingredients on the spot and packing it for their customers. RM1.60 for bee hoon is really cheap!
3. Joo Hooi
I went to Joo Hooi in January to try their Cendol and Assam Laksa, so this time round, we ordered a plate of ckt to share, as the last time round, the line for ckt was super long! We were one of the first few people in the hawker shop. We were there at around 10.45am.
The ckt was not bad - although the Lorong Selamat ckt fared better. This is undoubtedly one of the better places to go to if you are looking for good ckt! RM4.50 for a plate. Waaay cheaper than the one in Lorong Selamat.
Assam Laksa
CKT
After eating, our dad brought us to Penang Hill! "If you haven't been to Penang Hill, you haven't been to Penang", he said! :P We took an electronic train up to the hill ( I think that's what it's called!), and we could see the view of Penang. Reminded me of The Peak at Hong Kong!
The air on the hill was really cooling despite the scorching sun, and there were many tourists there. Sadly, it was slightly hazy. Otherwise, the view of Penang would be really nice!
The Parents
My siblings :D
Super unglam pic of me after climbing up a really steep slope to get to the car
4. Air Itam Assam Laksa
Also reccommended by my friend, and I read a lot of good reviews about it, and since my dad loves assam laksa, we headed over to Air Itam, about 5 mins from Penang Hill for lunch!
Super packed!
Everyone busy at work, preparing the assam laksa
The stall is very near the Kek Lok Si Temple
The popiah we ordered was average
Nutmeg Drink - I find that it goes well with the assam laksa
Assam Laksa!
I personally found the assam laksa pretty yummy! It did not have the strong fishy smell, like the one in Joo Hooi cafe, the noodles were good, fish was fresh, but what was lacking was the flavour in the soup. My dad thought that the assam laksa was not bad.
Muar Chee
After that, we headed back to Ipoh for dinner with my relatives, and then went back home!
I enjoyed my short trip to Penang and Ipoh. Next up is Singapore!!






No comments:
Post a Comment